Friday, August 12, 2011

Maybe I'm bitter... lol

What's up ya'all?









I finally found out what where I placed at the fair. I was a bit disappointed.


(click the photos to enlarge)

This photo of the bee on the cherry blossom didn't place.

I thought this was actually a really nice photo. I'm surprised it didn't get at least a 2nd place.






I thought this picture was adorable. my puppies tushies side by side, their tails connecting into the shape of a heart.

It got an honorable mention. I thought it would at least place 3rd.







This photo seems to be everyone's favorite. I've had people ask to buy prints of this photo, and everyone stops at this picture in the album of my photography proofs.

This only took an honorable mention.

this is a rare weather phenomenon. No one entered a picture like this, cause you just don't see this kind of thing every day. It's very rare.

This took an honorable mention. I thought for sure, since this was so unique and so different, and the color contrasts, the moodiness of it, it would at least place 1st, 2nd or 3rd. but nope.




This picture took 2nd place.







This is the same cloud as the one above, as it was starting to pass over head.

this won 2nd.








Third place



Third Place


Third place









This was my one and only 1st place.

I also won a 2nd place for my Japanese antique from the 1800's. (a book of Japanese wood burned art)

So all in all it was 3 honorable mentions, 3 third places, 3 second places, one first and one that didn't place.





Last year I won all 3rd places, minus 1 first, and one non-place.

I honestly thought I had a good chance of a few more firsts and maybe even a gold ribbon, but nope. Once again, for like the 3rd year in a row that I've started going to the fair, a baby picture took grand champion.

This year it was a picture of a baby with "cake face" (you know, when a kid smears cake all over their face). there was nothing out of the ordinary about it... it looks like the typical photo every parent, grandparent, aunt and uncle has in their photo albums of the kids in their family.

Last year it was a photo of a random baby smiling that looked as if it was pulled out of someone's wallet.

What disappoints me, is... there were really nice photos... like this one of a bald eagle nest with baby bald eagles that didn't place... a beautiful picture of a baby surrounded by a garden and an old shed in black and white that looked like it should have been in a magazine that only took 2nd, a beautiful picture of a butterfly landing on a flower that only took an honorable mention. There was a photo of a close up of a horse's eye, reflecting the photographer like a mirror. It was a really interesting and artistic photo that only took 2nd place.

I mean, the baby that won was cute and all... but this feels like a cutest kids contest rather than a contest of amateur photographers and their artistic visions, because in a true photography contest, those photos wouldn't even be considered for top prize, because they were never meant to be "artistic" pieces. They were meant to be family photos. It just seems unfair to those of us who go out and spend hours setting up the perfect shot. It feels like we should just not waste our time, and just dive into our photo albums and pull out pictures of babies.

lol, does that sound horribly bitter of me? I mean, congrats to the winner, but still. It's just odd that ordinary baby photos seem to always take grand champion. 

but all in all, I can't totally complain. I mean, I did get one first, and a few second places... not to mention, I had a lot of fun with my nephew who I am babysitting while my brother and sis-in-law are getting ready to have the new baby on Monday.

He had a blast at the fair, riding on the merry-go-round, watching the big kids on the big rides, listening to the music, and I'll tell you one thing, even though he's barely a year and a half old, he has a thing for the ladies. We passed a little girl with long blond hair, and he gave her the biggest smile I've ever seen as we walked passed. I had to explain that she was too old for him. She was practically 3. lol So it was worth it to see how much fun he had. (and to tucker him out so he went right to bed tonight. LOL)


No comments:

Post a Comment