Saturday, December 4, 2010

the 411 on my call to 911



Ok here's basically the 411 on my 911 call.

I was coming home from the grocery store... and there was this one car on this side street who wasn't even watching where he was going. He blew his stop sign and started making his turn, right into my car.

I started swerving to avoid getting hit, but the more I swerved the more he was running me off the road, like he couldn't see cherry red SUV sticking out like an inflamed Zit on the face of the white snow...

The ditch I was swerving into had a deep dip which would have caused my SUV to flip over and roll, so finally I laid on my horn and threw my hands up in a "WHAT THE HELL DUDE" gesture.

He gestured back with what looked like the one finger salute. I just drove in front of him and started heading for home like, 'whatever. idiot driver.'

Well I noticed that he followed me up the street, down a side street, up another street than down the main road. That didn't bug me too much cause lots of people take that way.

then he followed me up another side street. I still wasn't concerned, but It was starting to look less like a coincidence cause this wasn't a highly trafficked street. So then I decided to test it. I was going to drive up a side street, then back up another towards the main road I just turned off of, making a big square.

That's when I realized this guy was intentionally chasing me down. Now we didn't actually get into the accident because I kept swerving to avoid his erratic driving and eventually when I laid on the horn he stopped... so it wasn't like he needed to chase me down to exchange insurance information... and he was still driving erratically, so it wasn't a good situation to be in. I knew if I stopped to find out what he wanted, it wasn't going to end up good. So I kept driving trying to lose him.

then he started driving a little more intimidating, catching up to me, making every turn I made, revving his engine. Finally I had enough. After about 10+ minutes of him chasing me, and driving erratically... I decided to blow a stop sign myself, which he did as well, and I headed for a crowded parking lot. He saw me in the parking lot, turned around and took off, probably because there was lots of people and I could report him. (stupid me didn't have my cell on me or I'd have called the cops.)

I had no idea why he was chasing me. HE almost caused the accident by running the stop sign, and I was driving away, it was over. I don't know if he was drunk, if it was a case of road rage, if it was both... or if he got a good look in my car and saw that I was a young woman in the car alone. I don't know.

I never got a license plate cause he was behind me, and there was no front plate on his car. After he took off... I took a bunch of side streets to get home. By this time I was bawling and having a panic attack. I hid my car in the garage and ran to tell my mom what happened as calmly as someone crying hysterically can.

She told me to call the police. Even though I didn't know the plate #, I could describe the car type and color, and the fact that the middle aged male driver was the only occupant in the car. This way if he does this to someone else, they have my complaint on record.

The 9-11 operator told me several times I needed to calm down cause I was literally ready to crap my pants I was so scared. I'm calming down a little now... (I took some cough syrup that makes you a little drowsy, so it's kind of relaxing me.)

but I'm in a lot of pain. When he almost hit me, my body tensed up completely to brace for impact... and then when I realized he was chasing me, I got really tense... so now I feel like I have whiplash and the small of my back is so sore and occasionally I get these spasms in my back... I may go to the ER tomorrow and see if I can get a muscle relaxer if the back spasms don't calm down.

but yeah. that's what happened. I'm still shaken up, but I'm starting to calm down a bit more. So yeah... not a fun day.


No comments:

Post a Comment